Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Meditation - Confused by the Death of Duty

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?"  The two angels raise a penetrating question of those first followers of Jesus to arrive at the tomb, but it would have taken a moment for it to make sense.  At first encounter, grace can be very confusing.


These women had arrived to do what is expected of them - to clean the body and bring to an understandable end all the events over the last days.  Jesus is dead.  Hope is dashed.  Confusion reigns.  The disappointment is palpable and crushing.

Duty and death.  While the women surely did not like what had happened up to this moment, they at least knew what to do.  Clean the body.  Complete the burial procedures.  Wade through the disappointment and heartache and go on with life.

Then confusion and surprise - things aren't like we expect them to be.  Ready to get to their work, they find things disrupted and different.  Before they ask "What does this mean?" they have probably wondered "How do we get our work done?"  Something has changed, but at first it looks like disruption and confusion.

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?" ask the angels.

Some of the most amazing moments of Gospel breakthrough in my life have followed this same path.  Death and duty.  Then suddenly things don't work out as I expected,  and in the midst of that confusion I hear a voice, "Why do you look for the living among the dead?"

I'm hard at work "doing my duty."  Working.  Going through the motions.  Being faithful in my efforts.  Then suddenly life blows up.  The stone is rolled away, but all I can see is that my efforts aren't paying off.

I work hard, but loose the job.  I pray with all my faith, but the answer doesn't appear.  Large circumstance or small, my best efforts fall short.

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?"  I am confused because I'm looking to continue my duty, and instead, have had my life turned upside down by grace.

The women - indeed the Apostles and ALL of us! - need to get adjusted to the surprising news.  He is Risen!  Our duty, responsibility and efforts don't produce anymore.  The stone is rolled away so there is no body to wash!  He is risen, so there is no burial to complete!

In similar manner, the Gospel declares to me: "You are forgiven, so there is no more debt to pay.  Don't let that confuse you.  You are loved so there is nothing left to earn.  Simply receive this new reality."  Grace always seems to make my duty die and I view that death initially with confusion.  I've got to adjust to a new reality.  He is not here, He is risen!

Who cares if my best efforts and sincerity don't produce anymore.  Grace freely gives me more than I could have ever produced anyway!  If you find your dutiful life suddenly unproductive and disrupted, perhaps it's time to breathe deeply and listen for the angel voices.  Perhaps you've been surprised by grace.  Have you been looking for life among the the death of your own self-righteousness?  If so, you'll never find life there.  He is risen, indeed!

Father in heaven, help me to see that the Empty Tomb at first looked to those disciples like confusion and trouble.  Only when they could see it in light of a new reality of grace - the resurrection - could the situation begin to make new sense, and they give their lives a new direction.

Where there are places in my life where the stone has been moved - my duty is disrupted by a new reality - help me to find you resurrection power at work.

Help me to seek life with You, and not my duty.  In the name of Jesus the Risen One!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Grace in FXBG by Email